Goldman’s Kosher Bakery, as it is known today, was established in 1965 by Fred Cohn and his wife Inge Cohn.
Their journey began like this… Back in the old country, Fred, as a youngster, started to work as an apprentice in a small bakery located directly below where his family lived in Leipzig, Germany. His daily baking activities included the basic chores of keeping the bakery neat and organized, as well as creating the finest pastries and cakes.
In March 1939, Fred left with his family and started a new life in Lapaz, Bolivia, South America. Mr. Cohn then opened his own bakery and soon after started his own family.
Thirteen years later, the Cohn family immigrated to the United States, and Fred worked for several prominent bakeries and restaurants. The family continued to grow with the addition of a daughter, Leah, and a son, Max, both of whom would follow their parents into the business. Soon thereafter, he started Freddy’s Bakery, which became the launching pad for the purchase of Goldman’s Kosher Bakery. Originally located in the Pimlico section of Baltimore, Goldman’s Bakery was a neighborhood store with a good reputation in a solid community.
After operating in this location for nine years, Fred moved the bakery to its present location on Reisterstown Road in the Fallstaff Shopping Center in 1973. With his wife at his side, his son, Max, and daughters, Leah and Ruth, the store has expanded many times to what it is today, a modern 5000 sq. ft. facility with an enormous product line.
Fred Cohn passed away on July 15, 2006, but the store continues on with all the basic principles that he originally set forward…
Make a good product, provide it at a fair price, and never compromise your reputation.